Sunday, March 13, 2011

Busy, Busy, Busy

So Chum is 26 weeks along and a busy girl!  Seriously - you'd think I've been downing Red Bulls the way she keeps trying to run her marathon when I watch tv or try to go to bed.  I keep wondering if she gets frustrated, running all that way and not getting anywhere (like being on a treadmill inside Mommy's tummy) - but I suspect she's just focusing on growing.

The stupid source I was using for the vegetables of the week has (again) plopped Chum at the same vegetable for several weeks in a row - so according to them, she's still an eggplant.  I've switched sources for now - and she is this week the length of a cucumber...about 14 inches.

In the past week, I think I've been told by 5-6 people that she's a "big, healthy baby" - which isn't as kind as people think they're being.  That basically means "wow - you're really huge."  A stranger (when her 4 year old daughter smiled and told her that I had a baby in my tummy) said to me with a supportive grin, "You must be getting close."  Unfortunately, I said something along the lines of, "Yeah, we're right at 6 months."  Which made her grin wan and she responded with, "Oh, it's a big one."  Thanks, Lady at the Mall.  Thanks.



Anyone else have stories of awkward conversations with strangers?

2 comments:

  1. It seems like everyone has an opinion! Up until about 2 weeks ago, whenever I would tell someone I was pregnant they'd say "really?" and look at me like I was lying for attention or something. The only exception was at the gym, when (over the course of 2 weeks) I was told twice that it was good that I was finally taking care of myself, 3 times that I shouldn't even be at the gym while pregnant and the icing on the cake was the older woman who felt the need to explain why I needed to cover up (apparently a tshirt and leggings weren't enough) in my condition to avoid scandal. Word-for-word, she told me I would cause a scandal.

    Last week I was scolded by a guy in the store when he asked if I wanted to know the sex (I said yes, he thought such a thing was ridiculous) and this week everyone seems to think my boobs are the biggest they've ever seen (which, as you know, is a lot less awesome than it sounds).

    I can't *wait* till a stranger touches me in the store or at the gym.

    I also hear that people are quite opinionated for a month or two after birth when you haven't lost that "pooch" quite yet. "How far along are you" I imagine is a lot less cute when you've already given birth.

    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think you are big for 6 months! I think you look pregnant, but not mega huge or something.

    ReplyDelete