Sunday, April 10, 2011

Drops of Dew

I've been easily discouraged with heightened emotions lately.  Normal - considering my (probably too busy) pace of life and hormonal state.

But I was reminded this morning of the theme throughout Scripture of God giving His people exactly what they need to sustain them, one day at a time.  Like manna.  God literally fed His people bread from the sky with the specific instruction NOT to store any even overnight...because He provided new manna each day.

Like in Psalm 23 - when the Psalmist says "He makes me lie down in green pastures."  Well guess what?  They were essentially a dessert - the green pastures were the little patches of grass that were watered by dew each night - providing just enough sustenance for the sheep to survive the day.

God does the same even now.  He doesn't let us store up encouragement or provisions.  Rather, He provides one day at a time - as a means of showing His faithfulness and protecting us from independence from Him.


This morning, exhausted from the week and pessimistic about the day ahead, God reminded me of this simple truth.  I sat down, not even sure where to start.  Desiring to have Christ speak to me, without the energy to even know how to start.
But then I looked to my right and saw this picture, framed on a shelf in my office.



Just about a year ago, when we were in the middle of building our new church building, we hosted a "Sharpie Party" - in which the congregation was welcome to come to the building, tour, and write on the concrete floors with Sharpies.  The building was then tiled, carpeted, and completed.
This is the note that my sister wrote for me, permanently under the carpet on which I'm sitting, even now.
She said, "I pray that this would always be a place of encouragement, love, comfort, purpose, and HOPE."  My sister prayed, over a year ago, for the very temptation of discouragement I am struggling with today.

Who is to condemn?  Christ Jesus is the one who died - more than that, who was raised - who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us.  Who shall separate us from the love of Christ?  Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword?


Christ - the One who died on my behalf, IS (in the present tense) at the right hand of God and IS interceding for me.  Even when I'm emotional or easily bruised, He is interceding on my behalf with love.  Love that I cannot be separated from.  He provides new grace each day.

We are more than conquerers through Him who loved us.

No comments:

Post a Comment