Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day!

It's a funny thing, Mother's Day.
A day to celebrate the women in our lives...give them gifts and tell them the things we usually neglect to say every other day the rest of the year.

In some ways, the task is enormous - how to you sum up and say thank you for everything that your mother has done for you over the past year...and throughout your whole life for that matter?

Scripture speaks significantly about the role of the mother in the family - heck, honoring your parents is the first commandment with a promise.  Her children arise and call her 'blessed.'  Even Timothy, Paul's right hand man, is praised for his faith - with his spiritual genealogy credited to his mother and grandmother.

In thinking through this Mother's Day - I want to say thank you to my mom and the others who have supported me throughout my life.  I am blessed with 2 loving grandmothers who have been there for every elementary school orchestra concert and birthday party throughout my life.  I also have a grandmother-in-law, who has been a joy for me to get to know and share with Rob.  And...I have a wonderful mother-in-law - who has welcomed me into her family, supported, loved, and encouraged me over these past years.  She has been a great mother to my husband, instilling in him values, character, and a tender lovingkindness that has been nurtured throughout his life.  Thank you all.  I love you!


And to my mom:

You're the best.  While I could not choose to be your daughter, I am thankful to God that He chose to plop me into your family - and I would choose you as my mother any day.  I learn from you daily and am overwhelmed by your love and support.  It is a joy to serve with you and I see evidence each day of the values that you helped instill in me.  
As we prepare to have our own daughter, I see more and more what you have done to gently and lovingly encourage and direct me throughout my life - always showing me respect and allowing me to be my own person, while prompting me toward Christ and living out an example of what it looks like to be a godly woman.  I love you.


Also you're really fun and get my jokes. 





No comments:

Post a Comment